The project Adelante con la Diversidad II (Forward with Diversity II) harnesses social, political and legal forces to effectively protect the rights of LGBTIQ+ people and their defenders in the Andean Region by guaranteeing comprehensive security, access to justice and the right to non-discrimination for LGBTIQ+ human rights defenders (HRDs).
Why we target the Andean Region
The Andean Region, made up of Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador and Peru, is currently experiencing a rise of actors with social and political influence whose rhetoric threatens progress made in human rights and puts LGBTIQ+ people at great risk. Among them, fundamentalist religious leaders and nationalist and conservative politicians stand out. Their praise of traditional religious values and rejection of sexual diversity and gender equality can lead to LGBTIQ+ people being violated and murdered because of their gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation and/or sexual characteristics.
How we move diversity forward
- Training for transformation
- Multi-level participation and advocacy
- Information for protection
- Voices in favor of human rights
For this, the project aims to:
- Strengthen the capacities of organizations at all levels to provide comprehensive preventive security (physical, emotional and digital) for the target LGBTIQ+ organizations and people.
- Promote political and institutional advocacy strategies to guarantee greater security, protection and non-discrimination od HRDs including strategic litigation to demand human rights and combat impunity.
- Encourage the co-creation of innovative narratives with a human rights approach that are more effective at curbing anti-rights rhetoric.
Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador and Perú